Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Feature 24


I searched BN.com for books about grammar and found ten that had amusing titles. Then I made up six additional titles. Your job is to figure out which of the following titles are not grammar books available at BN.com.


Woe is I
Spunk and Bite
Anguished English
Comma Chameleon
Linguistics for Losers
The Great Typo Hunt
The Elephants of Style
Origins of the Specious
How to Write Good, Period
Not Your Gramma's Grammar
The Years of Talking Dangerously
When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It
Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies
The Grammar Geek Settles the Arguments
Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages
Punctuation is for Pussies: How the Internet Made Grammar Irrelevant



Answers Below



The fake titles are:


Comma Chameleon
Linguistics for Losers
How to Write Good, Period
Not Your Gramma's Grammar
The Grammar Geek Settles the Arguments

Punctuation is for Pussies: How the Internet Made Grammar Irrelevant

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure the OED one was a joke. That's a hell of a way to live for a year just to get a book deal. I found the announcement at Publishers Marketplace, but alas, no info on the advance.

Khazar-khum said...

The OED one is a classic 'stunt' book. I personally think stunt books are stupid. It's an attention whore trick. And it's invariably pretentious. They reek of 'I'm going to sacrifice my wonderful life for you, so you'd better pay.' Maybe the better name would be douchebag lit.

Anonymous said...

I'm out of control. I just looked up the OED book, read a few pages, and bought it. I think I have IBBS, Impulsive Book Buying Syndrome. And I believed Not Your Gramma’s Grammar was a real book. So now I’m struggling with the suspicious that I have IBBS and I am using my Gramma’s grammar. This is a rough day.

Whirlochre said...

I've been using Punctuation For Pussies for years.

So glad it's finally received the recognition it deserves.

Anonymous said...

Is it sad that I don't own any of these books yet I knew four of the real ones before checking how I did?